Wednesday 11 April 2012

On Week 5 of the Hannah Made Diet















Due to Easter I wasn't able to weigh in until today because I weigh myself on the Pt Chev chemist scales and Monday was a public holiday. According to Food Math I should have lost around 600 grams since I last weighed in. What actually happened is that I gained 600g. We had a weekend fraught with adventure, manual labour, Easter treats, teppanyaki and sake. And I was a little lax on accounting for everything. Because there was a lot to account for.
The week went like this:
Monday: Tried to join the gym. Failed. Did some washing.
Tuesday: Work then pub quiz. Hot cross buns make me want to go on murderous rampage.
Wednesday: Work. Desire for murderous rampage.
Thursday: Extreme eleven hours of work followed by drive up to bach. Feelings for murderous rampage hampered by the end of Easter working week. Thank God!
Then the weekend went like this:
Friday: Pruning trees then paving. Bricks and spades are heavy.
Saturday: A little paving, then drove to Auckland, then went to Action World for Lucy’s birthday, then to teppanyaki and sake
Sunday: Watched TV and played Angry Birds. My entire body rebelled against the day.
Monday: Still in pain. Damn you bricks! Went to mini-golf then Thai for dinner for my father in laws birthday.
Yesterday: Work then pub quiz. Yay for no more hot cross buns!
So it was a mess basically. I did weigh my dress and playsuit. My playsuit is 100 grams lighter than my weigh in dress (which I was wearing today) so I really only gained 500g. It kinda sucks, but it’s Easter. It’s better than gaining a kilo. And I am 100% certain after doing all the brick laying and mad running about that at least half of the weight I put on will be muscle, which is a win. The only time I did join a gym I gained one kilo in the first week due to weight training. I’ll try and lose 500g this week and get back to where I was in Week 5, but with more muscle. The more muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism naturally works, so this isn’t a bad thing.
Last week I was totally gung ho about joining the gym. My workmate had told me it was only $25 a fortnight for the gym around the corner from work. What I didn’t know was that there was also a joining fee of $100, and a card fee of $25. For someone only planning to go to the gym for a short while, and who is saving for a house and overseas trip and currently living in central Auckland, this kind of expense just isn’t feasible. If I went to the gym for three months it’d cost $31.25 per week. I didn’t let this get me down. I then visited Club Physical on my way home. This gym cost $30 per week to visit on a casual basis. So when I got home I called the Unitec gym. This costs $12 per session for casual visits. This would be the most financially feasible, but I’d only be able to go once a week.
The allure of the gym is all about magical machines. Most of the machines count how many calories/kilojoules you burn. That’s a very handy job for them to do. It would mean I don’t have to work it all out myself. Also, there are a lot of machines that do many different things. And they’re all in one place. And you’re guilted into going because you’ve paid some crazy fee and have to make it worth it. I am time poor and lazy like many. It’s easy to see why the gym is the ideal exercise solution.
But after the financial reality check (how do normal people afford the gym?), I had a rethink. I went home and put on my Strip to Fit DVD (please don’t stone me in the street). Just so’s you know, Carmen Electra may be hot, but she has no idea about fitness DVD’s. Her DVD’s are cut so you go from sitting to standing in half a second. Not physically possible. Love to see Carmen try to do it, and I bet a bunch of people would pay to see Carmen try to do it. Anyway, I digress. I figure I can buy another non-Carmen-made DVD, do DVD exercises for strength training once a week, use my step machine once or twice a week and try and go for a swim at the Mt Eden Pools ($6 per session) once a week. I’ll have to count stuff myself, but I love math so I should harden the fuck up about doing more of it and become more like Rain Man.
Now that the insane Easter period is over, I’m also going to try and get my life into more of a routine. I think we managed to spend two nights at home in the evenings last week. I’m aiming for at least four to five. The nights where I’m not at home I don’t eat properly, and end up eating crap. Even if I’m careful with kilojoules of what I eat, I usually eat high fat foods of little nutritional benefit because that’s all there is within my budget and the sushi places close at night time.
Also, I love cooking. When I’m out a lot, I don’t have time to cook and I get sad. I really like eating the food I cook because I’m a pretty good cook. Also, I get sick if I eat crap food all the time. My skin goes horrid, I feel exhausted and get sick more easily. It’s very important to my physical wellbeing that I get to eat home cooked, proper meals. As well as it benefiting me, it’s how I show my husband I care about him, so I feel very out of sorts when I don’t have time to cook.
So how I’m going to get back on track this week is through applying some simple tricks:
1) Attempt to be home more so that I can eat home cooked meals.
2) Take pre-made meals with me to eat if I do have to be out at night.
3) Eat 6+ a day fruit and vegetables.
4) Keep more accurate food math records to increase accountability.
5) A little regular exercise including cardio and strength training.
6) No more combating murderous rage with chocolate.
7) NO MORE hot chips.
So there is the plan people! Now it’s just a matter of actually sticking to it. I’ll let you know how I get on. Only five days to lose 500 grams? Piece of piss.

Wednesday 11th April current weight:     59.9 kilos
Ultimate goal weight:                             56.0 kilos
Weight loss so far:                                  2.7 kilos
Weight to go:                                          3.9 kilos