Saturday 12 May 2012

On growing up poor in New Zealand



There has been a lot about kids in poverty in the news recently.  More than 20% of our kids live under the poverty line in New Zealand today.  That’s heaps.  It is frustrating for me to see those in power seeming to do very little to change this.  Instead, they have put in place tax policy that further disadvantages those in lower socio economic brackets (changes to GST), and made a scapegoat of beneficiaries during a recession.  This only serves to make things worse.  I spent much of my childhood under the poverty line, so I know first-hand the detriment this causes not just the kids, but entire families, when they feel powerless to change this.

In saying this, I seldom felt poor as a child.  We had people who loved us.  We spent most of our childhood in an idyllic landscape close to beaches and full of animals and exciting places to play.  We couldn't afford most school trips, but I loved going to school.  And although we were always poor, there were only short periods of what would be considered extreme deprivation.  

For the most part, my dad was a farm worker, and my mum was a mum who did as much other work as she could.  She was the cleaner at Waioneke Primary (South Head), and at local peoples houses.  The patches where we were actually hungry were the patches between farms.  As farm workers, our board was often free, and we also received a bit of food for free too.  These two basic things helped massively with our general survival, and my dad was a very practical hunting, fishing man living off the land man.  The thing that made things difficult was living in such an isolated place, far from our extended family, and pretty much everything else.

Living in such an isolated area often meant being trapped.  If you have no money for gas, you can’t leave.  Siphoning petrol from lawnmowers, farm machinery and motorbikes was a common occurrence when we had money.  This enabled us to get out and get groceries, or more petrol to get my parents to work.  When we had no money there was no petrol in the lawnmower, little food and no escape.

When you are actually in poverty, applying logic to the situation you are in is not simple.  You are starving.  If you are a parent, you are likely feeling like a terrible parent - extremely worthless.  If you feel worthless, you will likely be depressed.  If you feel depressed and trapped, you will likely lash out at others.  If you are depressed and alienated, you are more likely to suffer from addiction.  If you suffer from addiction, you are more likely to make poor financial decisions.  If you feel worthless, and a failure as a parent, why does it matter?  And if you live in isolation from friends and family, it is difficult to get help.

Living in poverty is living in constant fear.  Fear that you will lose the little you have.  Fear that you are failing your children.  Fear that your children will be taken from you.  Fear of illness, and more bills.  Fear that your friends and family pity you, or are ashamed of you.  Fear that the situation will never change and this is how you will live your entire life.

Even if you are a child of poverty who’s parents escaped, or has escaped yourself, having lived like this follows you for your whole life.  I still find it difficult living in middle class suburbia.  The reality for people here is so different than the reality that made up my formative years.  I have friends who had parents were frugal and worked hard to have what they have now, so have some understanding, but it isn't the same.  

I don’t think I could bring my kids up with Santa, because the notion of Santa was so harmful for me.  I thought I got less than my cousins in my Santa sack because I’d been bad.   I still have difficulty eating oranges at any time but Christmas because it was a special food.  My fortnightly food budget is only $30 more than my friend’s fortnightly beauty budget.  I didn't own a computer until I was 25 (and that one was given to me), I'm only passionate about Commodore 64 cos we had one at school.  I feel guilty going on overseas holidays because I still have family living in poverty.  Unlike most of my generation, I do not have that sense of entitlement.  I fit better with my grandmothers generation, who lived through the depression.  I work my butt off for $16 an hour because it’s enough to pay my bills and I am grateful.


I do not think my parents failed me.  Although I know there were issues with addiction, it was never something we saw.  My parents never bought ciggies over food for us.  My parents cared about my brother and I, we were not neglected.  We were poor and life was hard, but we still had fun.  We mattered.  I'm sure my parents could have made different choices, but my parents both left school before sitting School C, so those choices were limited.  And it is different when you are in a pit trying to get out, than when you are at the top shouting down.

It took us a long time to get out of poverty - it didn't happen until I was a teenager.  The steps we had to take were drastic.  My parents had to separate, then divorce.  My mother had to move into a small two bedroom flat in Helensville.  She had to work full time for her brother in laws business in Henderson, and raise one and a half kids (Dad had joint custody of my brother).  And that was just the start.  Things were still financially tight, but we were closer to help, and closer to our family, which made a big difference.  It was so hard for mum to leave, that I had to leave first.  It is sometimes very hard to ask for help.

The only reason we could do this is because we have a loving, supportive extended family.  Without this, we would have stayed trapped.  And in all honesty, I don’t think all of us would have survived.  Poverty, depression and addiction can all lead to violence.  We lived through that too.

In order to change child poverty in New Zealand, the people in power need to understand what it’s truly like to exist in poverty.  Instead of throwing stones at beneficiaries and low income families, they need to offer an olive branch.  I am not referring to more money.  I am saying that these people feel on the outskirts of society already, we need to make them feel part of society.  Not everyone has the family support that we had, or have family living outside of poverty.  Not everyone will have the trigger that we had to change our circumstances.  Changing child poverty in New Zealand is not something that can happen overnight.

When all someone knows is how to live in poverty, how can we expect them to understand how to live any other way?  We learn our life skills from our parents, and they learn from their parents, so when people talk about generations of DPB mums, how can we be surprised that they exist?  Change is not about giving people more or less money, it is about giving people the necessary skills to understand how to live differently.  It is about acknowledging and accepting all the things that come with poverty: depression, hunger, addiction, alienation.  And it is about creating jobs and industry in those areas where there are none.

And in the meantime we should be looking after these children.  These children make up one fifth of our future generation.  We should care about them.  There are a few basic things we can give them to give them a chance to create a different future for themselves and their children: food, health care, education, life skills and a caring community that they want to be a part of.  Take the parents out of the picture, and focus on the future.

And start at home.  If you have friends and whanau that are doing it tough, ask if there is anything you can do to help.  It mightn't be money.  It might mean sharing food and other resources.  It might mean offering childcare once a week.  It might mean sitting down and looking at their budget.  It might just mean having a cup of tea and a chat.  You'll never know unless you ask. 

Charity should always be a stop gap.  When people become reliant on charity, it takes away their ability to do things for themselves.  But at the moment, the situation here is dire.  We have the 40 Hour Famine coming up where children the country over will not eat for 40 hours to support children in Mali and Niger.  We have children who are on in famine here.  Check out the charities below if you want to support Kiwi kids and the future of our country.