Tuesday 18 April 2017

After week 1 on a diet thing - well, kinda

Maybe it's not the best idea to start a diet the week of Easter?

So I only lost 1 butter this week.  Oh well, only 9 to go!

So I decided I'd try this crazy strict diet for the first three days of eating healthier - kinda like a cleanse - and then just be more sensible with food from there.  I adjusted it a little though.  Cos it's crazy strict.  I don't know how anyone could actually follow this without collapsing from low blood sugars.   Cos I almost did on the first day before I adjusted it.*

So I had fruit, yoghurt and nuts for breakfast, a bland chicken stew (chicken with veges) for lunch (made from chicken breast for low fat hence the bland) and the eggs and salad as suggested for dinner.  I ended up having hummus and grainy crackers as a snack - and fruit or carrots if still hungry.  The morning lemon cleanser was easy as I already do that - but I decided to halve the green tea night time quotient as my bladder was unlikely to let me get any sleep if I had a litre of tea between 6pm and bedtime.

That was totally doable (and non-collapsable).

Then after that first three days I just had normal meals - but cut gluten and red meat and continued with healthy snacks and that awesome breakfast (with the addition of a little muesli) and not snacking after dinner.  And it wasn't that hard.  I loved the breakfast.  The lunch was bland, but filling and healthy and whilst dinner sounds simple I honestly really enjoyed it.  And whilst it would get boring if I had to have it every day, I could totally rock it twice a week no problems.

And then BANG.  It was Easter Weekend.  And working bee at the bach.  And our anniversary.  And two children's Easter egg hunts.  And Abby's birthday - all in the space of one long weekend.

So I kinda fell off the wagon.

One thing I can say is that I didn't go too crazy.  I did eat chocolate and snack foods and eating after dinner.  But I also did lots of walking and lugging and laying mulch at the working bee.  So I figured it (almost) balanced out.  And at Abby's birthday party whilst I did snack and eat things with gluten again, I wasn't crazy.  Like, I didn't eat an entire bag of crackers or chips (or even half a bag) which I probably would have previously.

So I can't really complain about only losing 500 grams.  I'm pretty sure I usually gain weight over Easter, so honestly, I'm pretty happy.

The best part of this diet so far is the massive increase in fruits and vegetables.  That can't be a bad thing.  I've also cut my coffee consumption down from daily to weekends and just occasionally during the week.  And my energy levels are fine - I needed coffee less than I thought I did**!  And starting the day ticking off two out of five servings of fruit or veges just feels really good - both physically and psychologically.

The worst part of this diet is the cost.  Truly - it ain't cheap.  Just looking at breakfast my daily cost has gone from about $1.00 (coffee and toast) to about $2.30.  And whilst dinner is probably cheaper, lunch is also dearer.  It's mostly the nuts, the proteins and the yoghurt - natural nuts are damned expensive!  Fruit, not so much - but the cost in time of ensuring there is fresh fruit and salad veges available for me each day is definitely an adjustment.

But hopefully, it'll just become a habit.

Because I like my new breakfast.  And I'm really enjoying rediscovering salad.  I've always liked salad, but I've always been lazy at making salad.  Because opening a bag of mescalin or baby spinach is just not enough - I want something tasty.  In doing this diet thing, I've realised I can actually whip up a really tasty green salad in under 5 minutes - and it's totally worth it.  Because filling up on salad means I eat less high calorie low nutrition food.  And that's what I need to do at the moment.

And fingers crossed I do it a bit better this week.  With no Easter maybe I can drop another two butters...



* Not a problem for me cos I don't need to lose 10 pounds in one week anyway.  Actually, no-one does.  Well, maybe people on The Biggest Loser, but not regular people.  Cos that's quite extreme weight loss.  So not really very sustainable.  And probably not very healthy.

** Probably what I actually needed was just better nutrition...

No comments:

Post a Comment