Friday 1 July 2011

First post: Why write this blog?

Welcome to my blog!
I've started this as a way of (hopefully) jump starting my writing practice - which is sporadic largely due to slackness. I've attempted to write novels in the past, and have never got very far partly due to lack of discipline, but mostly due to being overly self critical. Any hint of a novel I've ever written has long ago been deleted during moments where I decided that the whole thing was absolute rubbish. Because of this, I have become a writer of poetry - shorter, and something I feel I can be flippant about. Different in my brain than a longer term project.
Through writing this blog I will be forced to immortalise thoughts that I will probably see as redundant just months after writing them. I'm hopeing this will help me to be brave enough to one day not delete things, build a full picture and then edit. I will have to live with my flaws in thought and writing, and can look back and (hopefully) see some sort of growth. I am not aiming this at anyone in particular, and if I get one follower outside of my friends and whanau, I will be extremely surprised.
Please ignore the poor design of my blog. Despite having a design degree (I majored in painting), I am mostly computer illiterate and am a little of a technophobe. I will try and make it better when my brain can wrangle it, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment