Tuesday 29 May 2018

Preparing for the Ration Challenge (3)

In Challenge Land this week has been epic!

Due to my wonderful whanau and friends and an amazing anonymous donor I have made my personal fundraising target.


AND we've made our team target already!  In fact, they have a new function on the website which is a 'leaderboard' of how well individuals and teams are doing*.  And randomly, our team is in sixth place!  This is all down to our amazing sponsors.  While everyone says 'wow!  That's an amazing thing you're doing' - the reality is that the difference made (in terms of Zaatari Camp) is by those who support me, and the other challengers, in doing this.  Thank you everyone who has supported me in this challenge.  You are helping real people with great need and it is wonderful.

We made the leaderboard!

Between us, the amount Sonali and I have raised is enough to feed five refugees for one year!  At this point in time the Ration Challenge NZ has collectively raised enough to feed 794 refugees for a year.  This is only about 1% of the number of people in the Zaatari camp.  So it is just a drop in the pan.  But that is 794 people that would otherwise be struggling to feed their families.  It is a big difference in the lives of those individual people.


And so, because I know how great the need is I am changing our targets.  I would rather try at something bigger and fail, than be complacent with what I have when there is still so much time left. So I've upped my personal target to feed four refugees for a year.  And the team target now reflects that change.  So of course, if you are yet to donate and would like to, you can!  Just click here to go to my donation page.

I am starting to feel more anxious about the challenge itself.

The truth is, while I try to eat healthy, I am a slave to flavour.  I will have a delicious dinner and then follow it up with some salt n vinegar Peckish Thins.  At this time of year I am often found rocking a hot toddy to cure the creeping cold ails.  Same goes for herbal teas.  While I have tried a lot of the foods I will be eating during the challenge and am finding them ok - the reality of living on such simple fare, and in limited quantities is daunting.

So my next post will focus on the things I will do during the challenge time to manage myself and my feelings - as while I've been great with thinking about the food stuff - I haven't thought much about self-care or management during this time - which is just as important a factor.

*         *          *         *         *          *         *         *          *         *         *          *        

Recipe time!

So I tried making a few dinner things for the challenge.  I probably won't make these to go together - I think the lentil soup will be better with just plain rice rather than the cakes - but I want to be able to mix things up for the challenge so I don't feel bored or resentful.  The first recipe is an adaptation of one from the Ration Challenge Guide.

 Lentil soup - made about three cups worth!     
Lentil Soup 

170g lentils
100mls milk
1/2 tsp brown sugar
Seasonings to taste
 
1) Wash the lentils until clean.  Cook in plenty of water, simmering for about half an hour.  Drain most of the water off.
2) Blitz the lentil mix with a slender blender.  Add milk and sugar and seasoning to taste.
3) Serve with rice

This soup was surprsingly good!  And the yield was enough for - I think - a decent dinner portion and two half size lunch portions.  Because I have some other foods aside for lunch too, I think this will be filling enough to get me through those two days at least.  So that feels like a really good start in terms of delicious dinners.

Yummy rice cakes

Fried Rice Cakes
1 cup rice seasoned with salt
Silverbeet finely chopped (or any other vegetable in small quantity)

100mls oil (you can use less)
1 TBSP gluten free flour
Seasonings to taste
 
1) Cook rice as you usually would.  Allow to cool.
2) Add finely chopped veges.  Form into small patties with your hands and roll on a plate in the gluten free flour mix (I add the seasonings to the flour)
3) Make sure the oil is at perfect frying temperature (hot!) in a small frying pan.  I fried mine in batches of about three.  Cook each side until they start to turn brown (about 3 - 5 minutes) then turn.
4) The mix makes about 6 - 8 rice cakes depending on how big you want them.
5) Drain on paper towel (if available)

These were yum!  I think if I were doing them over I would have made them a little thinner and made one or two more of them.  They would be great to dip in sauce or stew, or would make a nice small lunch with hummus.

One Ration Challenge meal serving.



* I am of two minds about it.  I think it's great in that it encourages competition which at the end makes a bigger difference for those we are trying to help.  But I also feel maybe it will make those struggling to fundraise feel more badly about their position.  I believe that every bit counts - every Ration Challenger counts - even if they only manage their own self sponsorship.  They are putting their tummies on the line to highlight this refugee community.  And that in and of itself is huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment