Thursday 23 October 2014

Surprise! Another parasite


Standard foetus pic with duck coming out of stomach

So if the most recent post you've read was this one, you will be thinking one of two things:
1) I had this planned out all along
2) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

If you were thinking 2, you'd be correct.  We weren't secretly planning on getting pregnant and posting that post as subterfuge.  This is what actually happened:

My Dr (ages ago) put me on a minipill called Noriday because it's a low progesterone pill and I'd been curious about the progesterone implant (Jadelle) but had some concerns about side effects (because of my mental health history).  I half arsedly took it a bit, then realised I wasn't having enough sex to really necessitate being on the pill, so we used condoms for a bit.

Then I started having very bad pain with ovulation which I'd read could be aided with going on the pill - so I went onto Noriday properly.  Noriday made me bleed lightly ALL THE TIME and I didn't get periods and I totally hate that as not getting periods makes me paranoid I'm harbouring a DEATH BABY so I was taking a million pregnancy tests to rule that out in case the pill had failed and it was awful.  Cos I also bled ALL THE TIME.

After three months of this (tried for a bit in case it balanced itself out, but it didn't) I went to the Dr and had a different non-progesterone pill prescribed.  I was now a little terrified of what a progesterone implant might do to me long term, so figured that another pill was the solution to my ovulation pain whilst ensuring I didn't get knocked up in the process.

There was a tiny one week window in which I could have gotten knocked up in... We didn't use protection cos we're idiots but also:
1) I only have one fallopian tube so assumed conception more tricky than regular folks
2) I had JUST come off a pill.

So trust me, this wasn't planned.

And it came as a bit of a shock when we did find out we were pregnant.

Etta had the most horrible tummy bug she'd ever had (pretty sure it was rotovirus) and was super ill. Later that week I also had nausea and vomiting and called in sick to work.  Then a few days later Murray got the bug.  After he had it, I realised I couldn't have had the thing that they'd had as they were wayyyy sicker than me and had uncontrollable projectile vomit (which I hadn't).  I was then just finishing the first cycle of my new pill, and my period was overdue by a couple of days.  So I took a test just in case.  It was positively a baby bug that made me so ill.

I found out the day that I was hosting a bunch of people at our place for a birthday sexy party.  Oh that was a hideous time to find out!  I was soooo glad Murray and I had discussed what would happen if (this scenario) before so at least we were on the same page, but I just wanted to cry when I called him at work to tell him.  I was most terrified of telling my mother in law as new date-wise we'd be due very close to when we were supposed to be on a long planned big family holiday in Rarotonga and hormones and everything made things a bit blagh.  And I felt ill, and had to tidy, and had to make party and pretend everything was ok.

Vibrating implements + awesome friends: Kept me from crying on crazy day

When really everything was going to change.  Again.

As always our first port of call was to establish that everything was ok so I didn't die of exploding Fallopiantubeitis (ectopic pregnancy).  So once we confirms the pregnancy at the Drs via another pee test we went to a scan the following day.

And everything was fine (besides being exactly the right amount of pregnant to ruin the trip to Raro completely).  So not only did we manage to get pregnant straight after coming off the pill by hardly having had any sex, but the pregnancy was also totally fine and healthy.  Given my history and my one remaining tube, this was pretty amazing stuff.  So we figure like Etta surviving surgery as a tiny embryo, this little dude is canny, resilient and meant to be.

No evil twins lurking in the ovarian area (or cysts even!)

So although we haven't figured out the big questions like where the baby will live (in a cupboard at this stage) or how will a pram for two under two work (considering this puppy if Etta's walking by then cos I love my swift and don't want a double buggy), we have worked out we are excited about this little surprise baby. 

Hell, we don't have to worry about whether or not to have another baby now.
Big question answered*. 
But oh, how pregnancy sucks!

*Ellen was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment