Friday 17 February 2012

On why I will never financially support Greenpeace

If you know me personally, you’ll have a pretty good idea of my political viewpoint. If you don’t, I’ll sum it up by saying that I’m a vegetarian, garden growing, creature loving, equal rights politicising person who manages an allergy food store who can’t wait to see the back of National. This would lead many to believe that I’m a total greeny – which I kind of am. Nevertheless, Greenpeace ain’t my bag.

These are the two main reasons why I won’t financially support Greenpeace:

1) I don’t enjoy being harassed on the street by them

2) I don’t agree with their ‘sales’ strategy

I was inspired to write this blog post when I went to pick up some groceries and ran into the Greenpeace conversion crew at the entryway. One of their ‘sales people’ was yelling at someone who said they weren’t keen: ‘Do you want another oil spill in your back yard?’ Hearing someone guilt trip a stranger like that reminded me the time some Auckland Uni Christians I didn’t know told me I was going to hell. Just like with Christians, I don’t judge the Greenpeace sales people by one ‘bad’ representative. But this is a familiar refrain from them. And having lived with someone who worked for Greenpeace, I have a fair idea why.

Has someone in telesales ever called your home around dinner time? Have you had difficulty getting them off the phone? Have you ever wondered why? It’s because in most call-centres, an incentive of some kind is on offer to increase sales rates and therefore profit for the company they work for. As a clueless teen I worked in a call centre so trust me, I know. Did you know that Greenpeace uses cash incentives to increase their membership rates? A good Greenpeace sales person can earn good money. It’s no wonder that their ‘sales people’ can be just as vigilant as those annoying telesales reps.

I understand that Greenpeace isn’t about making a profit like the companies who utilise telesales reps, so let’s move this analogy to Mormons. If you live in a reasonably easy access property, it is likely you have been visited by some Mormons or Jehovah’s Witnesses (J-Ho’s) at some point. I know that most have been raised to think this way, and I respect their right to believe what they like. When they come knocking I politely say thanks, but no thanks. These religious groups genuinely believe they are helping to make the world a better place. Greenpeace genuinely believes this too. I’m not a Mormon or J-Ho, even though I agree with much they believe in because there are some things about their faith system I’m not a fan of. It’s the same with Greenpeace.

The main thing I disagree with (as evident above) is their marketing tactic. Yes, I understand with more members there is more money to do more work and make the world a better place. And I understand that using a business model for a charity has some logic to it. But taking a corporate hard-line sales stance when you are opposed to corporate interference with our environment seems a little hypocritical...

I’m also not a fan of the guilt-tripping. I’ve heard it a bunch of times. They look at you like you are some heartless piece of scum if you don’t sign on the dotted line, and they know nothing about you. This is a great way to prey on those with insecurities or with a little too much compassion. I used to be like this. I used to be like: ‘But I only give money to Red Cross, Canteen and volunteer at Hospice twice a week. I should really do more for the environment (the elderly, the dolphins, insert anything that tugs heartstrings here).’ I don’t do that now*. I’ve learnt from speaking to a range of charity sales people that their sales rates are higher in lower income areas. It’s those who know hardship who know how helping others can make a difference. I don’t like how Greenpeace uses guilt to pay their bills.

Lastly, sometimes the ignorance of their ‘Sales reps’ is astounding. I’ve stopped getting in arguments with them after the few cyclical arguments I’ve had. It’s just like arguing with a telesales person, or a Mormon, or a tree – it goes nowhere. I guess if you benefit from telling people how to think, you can’t really question that way of thinking.

Despite these things, I do believe in many of the things they believe in – I’ve even signed a few petitions on their website. There are many more useful ways of supporting the causes you believe in than by giving them your money or telling others to think how you think. Share information, and let people decide for themselves. Live your life in a way that reflects your beliefs.

*I now have a ‘charities budget’. I donate regularly to one charity, financially aid a political party (who incidentally, don’t support oil drilling) and give to other charities as I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment